Study Tips & Homework Strategies
· Attend Class!
· Set aside a specific time to study.
· Create your own quiet study space that has minimum distractions and good lighting.
· Get into the habit of studying every day.
· Study for focused blocks of time (study for 45-50 minutes, then take a 10 minute break).
· Don’t do other things while you’re studying! Turn off the TV and computer; focus on the task at hand.
· Make notes while you read along.
· Maintain a positive attitude!
· Ask for help when you need it.
Dealing with Test Anxiety
· Prepare well in advance. Study daily and avoid cramming right before the test.
· Know when and where the test will be given. Be on time with your book and supplies.
· Don’t talk about the test with classmates before the test, it will raise your own anxiety level.
· Read over the test and decide your approach. Determine point values for each section, the time limits for each part, which questions you want to start with, etc.
· Don’t hesitate to ask for clarification from the teacher if you have questions about directions, procedure, etc.
· If you go blank, go on to another question. Write down anything you can remember on the back of the test to stimulate your memory.
· Relax yourself physically. If you notice that you are not thinking well, put your test aside and concentrate on your breathing.
· Pay attention the test. Don’t waste time worrying, doubting yourself, wondering how other people are doing, what question someone is on, etc.